What is snail mucin?
Snail mucin is a natural substance produced by snails to protect themselves from bacteria. It is thick, viscous and contains vitamins A, E and C, as well as several other beneficial properties such as allantoin, a natural enzyme with powerful regenerative and healing properties, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, proteins such as collagen and elastin, peptides and antioxidants.
The term « snail slime » is often used for marketing purposes to promote cosmetic products. However, this ingredient also appears in INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) lists under names such as « SNAIL SECRETION FILTRATE », Helix aspersa saliva, or Poly-Helixan.
How were the benefits of snail slime discovered?
The story of the discovery of the benefits of snail slime goes back to a snail farm in Chile, run by a Mapuche family. The farm exported snail meat to countries around the world, including France, where snails are considered a delicacy. However, the farm workers were frequently injured while handling the snails. It was in the 1980s that one of the family’s sons, a medical student, noticed that the workers’ injured hands healed surprisingly quickly and remained very soft. He decided to have the snail slime analysed, and it turned out to contain a combination of components with phenomenal properties for the skin.
Naturally rich in skin-friendly nutrients
Clinical studies have been conducted using snail slime to treat Chilean patients with extensive burns or skin grafts, due to the presence of beneficial components in the snail mucus. The results showed a remarkable improvement in skin texture, scarring and a significant reduction in wound thickness in more than 80% of those treated. Other research has also confirmed the effectiveness of snail slime in treating hyperpigmentation, acne and stretch marks.
Known for its moisturising and regenerating properties for the epidermis, thanks to the presence of numerous active ingredients.
Let’s take a look at the natural active ingredients in snail slime and their benefits for the skin.
- The allantoin in snail slime regenerates and repairs skin tissue, helping to remove blemishes from the face. It also works on superficial burns, blackheads and skin spots caused by ageing or sun exposure.
- Naturally contains collagen, an essential protein for maintaining skin firmness and elasticity
- Elastin, a natural protein produced by our body. As we age, the breakdown of Elastin fibres can cause wrinkles and stretch marks to form, Snail Mucus helps restore skin’s suppleness for a more youthful and radiant appearance.
- Glycolic acid, a highly effective exfoliant that gently removes all dead skin cells and accelerates cell renewal. By intensifying the regenerative action of damaged tissue, it helps to improve skin texture and quality.
Snail mucin: a treasure trove of vitamins for healthy skin
- Vitamin A guarantees a radiant complexion and deep hydration
- Vitamin C protects against external aggressions and stimulates the natural production of collagen for a firm and elastic skin.
- Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, protects cells from oxidation and deeply moisturizes for a radiant and healthy skin!
Recommended for mature, dry and sensitive skin, this miraculous ingredient offers a multitude of benefits such as cell regeneration, improved elasticity and suppleness, gentle exfoliation, reduction of hyperpigmentation, acne and breakout fighting, as well as anti-aging, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
Turn your skincare routine into a unique experience for your skin with snail slime.
Are you looking for a contract manufacturing laboratory to create and manufacture your snail mucin-based cosmetic products?
Laboratoire Orescience puts all the expertise of its teams at your service and develops for you, and with you, your customised, effective and innovative private label cosmetic formula.
Send us your specifications and let’s build together a unique offer for your brand!